Sunday, July 12, 2009

My 24 Obsession and My Husband

So I've spent a lot of time this week watching 24. Jack Bauer is THE MAN. Every time I think, "There is no way for Jack to get out of this one," he does. Like when he killed a guy by biting into his jugular. Not pretty, but effective. George watches with me sometimes, although we usually watch after the boys have gone to bed. So this week, George has switched off between being Harry Potter and being Jack Bauer. The only difference is Jack doesn't have glasses and carries a plastic gun from the dollar store and Harry wears glasses and carries a purple pen for a wand. (Sorry to those of you who bought him the nice wands for Christmas, the pen still wins out every time.)

The ritual has been put the boys to bed, pop popcorn or make up some yummy chocolate milk, then sit and watch Jack while Adam rubs my feet. Does life get any better? Adam stayed up until after midnight on Thursday night watching 3 episodes in a row. He was really sad when Phin came in at 5:50 the next morning. We are currently watching season six and are more than half way through. It becomes almost like the Twilight books, I just can't stop until I'm finished. So hopefully we can finish this week and start talking to each other again at night.

Speaking of not talking to your spouse, Adam took me out on a date on Friday night. We went to this great Italian restaurant set up in a 1940's dining car. The atmosphere was great and the food spectacular. It's called Montorosso's and is hidden behind the Chapala's Express on Lee if you are interested. Anyway, while we were there I noticed a couple sitting a couple of tables away from us. The wife had actually pulled out a book and was reading during dessert! I thought how terrible that must make her husband feel. It's like she is saying, "You are so boring, I had to bring a book. I'm really just here for the free food." Adam and I saw another couple like this when we were engaged. This was at the Rodizio's Grill in Salt Lake. This married couple sat together for over 30 minutes and didn't even make eye contact. How sad! I wonder if this is a syndrome of empty nesters - the kids are gone, so we have nothing more to talk about.

Adam and I are determined not to become like this. We keep up on current events and try to read interesting things so that we can talk about them later. If all else fails we go to the old back ups, like, if you could have one super power, what would it be? Goofy things like that. But, hey, it keeps us talking, and not always about the kids. If anyone has other suggestions, send 'em our way.

On another topic, we went to the wading pool on Saturday. This isn't a small plastic wading pool from Wal-mart. This thing is about 50 feet across and 18" deep, perfect for the little ones who can't swim. It was the first time we had been there and decided it was a must since just walking outside made you sweat buckets. Adam played with the boys in the water while I soaked my feet with Spencer cradled between my knees. Pretty soon Adam had a whole slew of kids playing with him. Boys and girls splashing him, trying to tackle him, throwing beach balls at each other. It was so cool to watch. Adam was having as good of a time as the kids. When I told him it was almost time to go home, it was like he was one of the kids, begging for fifteen more minutes. One woman there, a single mom, really appreciated what Adam did. Her 8 year old twins and nine year old daughter don't get much time with their father and just having Adam play with them for that hour really meant a lot. She said they would be there again in two weeks and would love to see us there. It's nice to be married to a man who makes a difference just because it is in his nature to love people. He's a great example to our kids. And to me.

2 comments:

  1. I always want to talk about the trips Brad and I will take when the kids are all grown. Right now we can talk about our upcoming, 6 years late honeymoon cruise. We are going whale watching--whoo hoo! And I agree with you. Adam is such a great guy! What a good dad and hubby--rubbing your feet and playing with kids that aren't even his own. And he is always striving to be a better person. Good guy, good guy.....

    ReplyDelete