Friday, May 28, 2010

Identity Crisis vs. Imagination: You Decide

So for the past couple of weeks George has taken on a new persona every few days. At first, he was obsessed with the movie "Up" and was a Junior Wilderness Explorer. He wanted to know if we had any badges. I didn't think so, but then it struck me that we had saved Adam's old scouting stuff. So we dug it out of the dress up box and, low and behold, the badge belt became the badge sash. We had a bandana and cap and with his backpack packed full of atlases and scriptures he was ready to go. Unfortunately, I only got a picture of him in the cap, but Spencer got to play wilderness explorer too, so just imagine George in this outfit.


After the wilderness explorer phase came the strange "girl" phase. George found a mullet wig in the dress up clothes. But to him, a five year old, it's not a mullet, it's a girl wig. So on it went and now he was a girl named Kaitlyn (it's a made up persona, so I don't know how to spell her name). It was fine when we were home or at the playground and I even let him wear it to the gym, but I started to worry when it was time for school. Should I call his teacher and tell her she had a new student? Should I call the school counselor? Luckily, "Kaitlyn" informed me that you can't wear wigs to school. Whew! Here is a picture of "Kaitlyn" dressed up as Wolverine. (Yes he still acted like a boy, so no worries.)




He would also dress up as "Kaitlyn the Wilderness Explorer" and "Kaitlyn the Superhero". So Kaitlyn was pretty much George in a wig dressing up as other imaginary people.

Kaitlyn has not been around very much lately. It's just been George. Which is great. Because I adore George.

***

To continue with the Kaitlyn bit, George has insisted that the new baby be a girl. He wants a sister so badly. And of course her name would be Kaitlyn. I've asked him what would happen if it was a boy.

George: "I don't want a boy. I want a sister!"

Me: "But it might be a boy. What should we call him?"

George: "If it's a boy, we should call him something funny, like Boo. I want it to be a girl baby though because I love girls and I hate boys. We don't need any more boy babies."

Much to George's disappointment, we will be having another boy baby. We haven't decided on a name, so I guess for now we will just call him Boo.

3 comments:

  1. hehe I have heard the "I want a girl baby" so many times as well. And the one time we get one, she has a greater errand in Heaven. Hopefully we will get lucky and this one will be a girl! But if not at least we have lots of boy stuff! :D hehe George sure looks cute channeling "Kaitlyn" though! hehehehe gotta love boys right!? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just caught up! so nice to talk with you. thanks for truly answering some of my most recent prayer with your friendship. you. rock. :)

    ReplyDelete